I recently put together a basic automated pollen tumbler.  There is not really much to it.  I will do my best to get a full howto up soon, but without a doubt this is much better than using my old DIY Pollen Sifter.

Supplies Needed

  • Medium sized Rubermaid
  • Car window motor
  • 2 gallon bucket 
  • Silk screen
  • Ball bearings
  • Doweling
  • Nuts and bolts

Tools Needed

  • Dremel
  • Screwdriver
  • Hot glue gun/glue
  • hole saw 
  • Drill


I started by making the tumbler part.  I used a 2 gallon bucket for the shell, and used the Dremel to cut out holes in the bucket.  Then I used hot glue to attach the silk screen to the bucket.  After that I used the hole saw to drill a hole centered on the bottom and the lid for the bearings.  Attach the wheel bearing to the bucket with hot glue.  When your are ready to use it you just need to fill it with your trim pop the top on then stick the the doweling through the bearings.


Once I had the bucket done you are ready to started on the stand.  Cut the bottom off of the Rubbermaid.  Then cut out 2 1/2" notches in the bottom side to slide the doweling in.  After that all that is left is to mount the window motor.  I used long screws with wing nuts.  Just line up whee the holes need to be and drill.  You can either solder on a power jack as I did, or cut a power supply and attach the wires. 

I use the glass from an old reflector to put under it, but any glass or smooth surface will work.  With virtually no work needed on your part this is by far the best method for extracting kief to make hash or just smoke straight.


I am planning on making a cleaner better working model soon and a couple things I would do differently are first leave more plastic on the center of the bucket where the silkscreen goes.  How it is now the bucket is pretty flimsy and that gives slack on the screen.  You want it to be as tight as possible and that just isn't happening.  I think if I had a thicker bucket, or as I said just leave more material it would produce better quality kif.  Second I would try to find doweling and bearing with the same diameter.  I had to shave my doweling down and it just doesn't work as good as it could.

You can toss in some dry ice and it will greatly increase your yield.

Here is a link to a short video of it running.  I know it is not pretty,  but she gets the job done.